Sunday, June 3, 2012

A lot of days in Spain.

Soooo first of all sorry it looks like I haven't been writing, I have! I just haven't finished and then I end up going another couple days without writing and yeah. So first I want to talk about my first Friday night in Oviedo. And let me just tell you up front....what a disappointment. We went to this restaurant in old Oviedo and ordered some drinks and some tapas. First of all, or drinks were horrid. Soooooo gross. Then we ordered the spanish tortilla and it wasn't even cooked all the way. Then after we went to el parque de san Francisco and we stood next to this number because the date is like mowed into the grass and we wanted to see if it changed at midnight. So we waited and right at night this white truck appears and gets out. We were sooo excited that this was actually happening!!! It was real! So we all get our cameras out to document this awesome adventure. As get into position the guy gets in the truck and drives away. Awesome. Turns out that he was just changing the garbage, so I guess we will never know. Oh and I left my only jacket at the restaurant and so we had to walk all the way back to get it. You can bet we had a very early to bed kind of night that night lol. The next day we had our first excursion. We went to León and a place called Astorga. Astorga was beyond awesome. We saw a different cathedral like the one below and a castle looking palace. Then we walked around the city and saw some awesome view points, ruins, and a chocolate museum! The chocolate museum sounds awesome, but don't be fooled. It was totally lame. Basically it had an upstairs with a weird old machine that didnt work, and a video in spanish of a guy making chocolate. Wasn't at all exciting. Next we went to Leòn and walked around, and had lunch. Our lunch was horrible, and our fruit was from a can... It looked so awesome but to be honest there wasn't a lot to do. And that wraps up the first excursion and pretty much everything bad about the weekend. But I can't complain a lot because I'm in Spain!!! Later that night...things finally turned around. We went to this bar and their was live music. It was really cool, and very chill. They sang a lot of American songs but I felt like I liked them all. Next we went to someone's apartment and played hearts by the elevator. Sounds lame but it was a blast. The next day was Sunday and I got to meet a girl named Helen. She was the girl before me and she is currently teaching kids English and living with a different family. It was really good to talk to her and get some tips about Spain. Monday was a typical day. If you don't know what that means read my previous blog. Tuesday was actually a holiday here in Oviedo. I don't know much about it I just know people go to the park and eat a sandwich, anyways I went to a city called Luanco. In this town was a very nice beach so pretty much spent the whole day at the beach, it was heaven and a much needed break from school. After school Wednesday we went to the aquarium in a city called Gijon. The aquarium was soooo awesome. They had tons of animals and if you know anything about me, it's that I love to go to the zoo or....SEAWORLD! Lol. Thursday was an awesome day. I went to an art museum and in this art museum they had a painting done by Pablo Picasso himself and many more interesting paintings. Then we went and saw some nuns singing, which was soo awesome. Later that night I went with my good friend Becca and got "churros con chocolate" which is what it sounds like but you dip the churros in the chocolate. It's very weird but sooo good. Now onto Saturday, which was a busy day for me. I went on my excursion to Covadonga, Los Lagos and Ribadesella. These were some amazing places and totally topped the last excursion. Covadonga was a beautiful place up in the mountains. I can't tell you how amazing they were. The mountains here are so green and look like they are from lord of the rings. Covadonga had a huge church that was probably the prettiest church I've seen, exterior wise. It's just amazing. Then they have this huge cave that leads to this small version of a church and they were holding mass there. After that we went down these steps to the waterfall. So pretty. Then their we're these seven spouts that some of the water came through. It's said that if you drink from all seven you'll be married in a year. So I wouldn't get married that quickly, I drank from one. Best water I've had here in Europe by far. Next we headed up to Los Lagos. These lakes are said to be some of the most beautiful lakes in the world. The drive up there was an adventure for sure. The roads were very small and only one car fit...properly. And on the other side of these crowds was the cliff. If that's not close enough to death, it was foggy. So foggy that we couldn't see in front of us. But we risked it. Luckily we made it there in time and thank god for a good bus driver lol. When we got to the lake, we could barley see it because of the fog but nevertheless a very cool experience. Next we went to Ribadesella. This was a pretty city with a very pretty beach. We climbed up to this lighthouse looking building and wow. Breathtaking view. The pictures here are from my iPod but the others were much better. After we got home, I went to see snow white with my host sister and Helen. It was great because I got to test my Spanish knowledge and I knew more then I tough which made me very happy. And the popcorn here is very delicious. And I really love my host sister, she is sooo nice. On Sunday I went to Gijon and went to the beach. Gijon is a great city but even with a beach, it doesn't compare to Oviedo. We found this spot though with a very pretty view and grass. We just payed on the grass and even rolled down it. A good day. Today was an awesome day also. We went on a hike that was pretty uphill for 99% of it. I realized that I'm not uh of a hiker. Anyways the hike up was so pretty. Tons and tons of beautiful views and buildings, and you could see the whole city which was so awesome. Well I'm sorry for the delay on this. It took a couple tries to write and a complete write-over. I love spain and can't believe I'm halfway done with it. Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment