Saturday, May 19, 2012

Madrid

So I want to start out with my crazy journey to Spain. I wake up on wednesday and get ready to go. Of course I had to check my packing list about 19 times until I was actually convinced I had everything. So I go downstairs and look at the clock, it was 6:30am..so....i wasn't going to the airport until 7:30am. So after saying goodbye to my sister, I I went to the kitchen and attempted to eat some cereal...yep didn't happen. I was far too nervous to eat. So many firsts. First time on a plane, first time in another country, and first time past those awful people at the airport called security. Anyways my brother and sister-in-law show up to take me to the airport, so I firstly go say adios to them. I had to wake them up and tell them I was leaving. They were a little too tired to care. Lol. Said goodbye to my mom and was out the door. I just kept thinking about whether this all was truly happening and it was. The drive to the airport seemed like ages. My brother and his wife giving me some awesome advice on flying. I felt as if I was going into the hunger games...lol jk, or am I? Anyways I get to the airport and get to my gate. Cake. Similar decide to go explore the airport, and try and find a beverage. As I'm going down the escalator I start looking for my ticket and can't find it. After panicking looking for it, it was nowhere to be found. I look up to go find it and see Melinda, one of the girls I was going to Madrid with. We walk up to the gate together and I finally find my ticket. Then we meet Danielle, another girl going to madrid, and get on the plane. I get on the plane and sit next to this girl, who told me her name I just can't spell it. She was in America going to school and was heading home to Mongolia. She was so terrified of airplanes. When it was time to take off she starts hyperventilating and I had no idea what to do, because this was my first flight ever. So we take off and I was totally fine. Flying was fun and not too bad on my stomach. We get off the plane and quickly find a place to go. We sit down and guess what...NO WIFI! Did I mention this was a 6 hour layover at LAX. So we spent most of our time inside but did make it outside and saw the most unusual building. So we took a lot of pictures of it and went back inside. During these 6 hours we probably talked about everything. Favorite color, politics, Obama. Elections, marriage, school, majors, the list really does go on and on. Finally it's time to go...oh wait the plane was having maintinence issues, and we were delayed about an hour or so. On this plane I sat next to a girl who was originally from Russia but was currently living in California. She was going to explore Europe. Behind me was a man and a women who never stopped talking. NEVER. Across from me was an old man who kept hitting on the girls next to him, but they didn't seem to mind much. The plane had no tv or anything. The only tv they had was for communication. The food was okay. It was sort of a prep for Spain I think. I get to Spain and get on the metro and find y way to the area of my hostel pretty easily. I see the sign and walk over to it with no clue how to get there. I hit the button and go inside. I look up and see a beautiful staircase and start to go up looking for or that said hostel luz. Looking around, I saw nothing, no sign. Going up and down the stairs about 5 times I asked a women in spanish. ¿Donde esta hostel luz? She had no idea where this place was but was really nice. Finally I reach a lady who just so happens to be the counter lady at hostel luz. We go inside and I am trying to communicate to this lady in spanish that I'm with Douk, my roomie in Madrid and I need to get into the room. so I think that she thought that I needed my own room so she was going to give me my own room when Becca, Liv, and Douk come to the rescue. Then after we got over the excitement of everything we went to lunch and walked around. We took lots of pictures and had lots of fun. Then we went home and went to bed. The next day we got up early and we went to a museum called prado, here we saw lots of different historical art. This art museum was huge, and I learned that back then men would pose in paintings with dogs to show that they were looking for a women. Next we went to Reina de Sofia, which is a modern art museum. We saw tons of different art and types of art. Some were videos, some sculptures and some just sketches. But the best part was they had some work by Picasso ,which was just the cherry on top of the Sunday. Then after lots of walking around we went to this local market. We went before but didn't get anything. But that night we did and it was amazing. It had such a different feel that you would never find in America. Then we come to today, sorry tis is so long lol. Today we went to toledo which is an hour and a half from where we were at. Toledo was so pretty words can't describe how much I loved it. Then we went inside an old cathedral which was just amazing. Then after we went to the royal palace. Wow. This was amazingly awesome. So much to see, and so many rooms. It's crazy how the weaalthy lived back then. As food the food here, you rarely see people eat unless it's lunchtime. Other than that their is a lot of drinking. Like they put alcohol in coffee and juice and stuff. So crazy. The food is pretty good here but I think I'm playing it too safe.im going to start trying some new foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment